Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Virtual Vitals: Blogging

Wow!  Had I known how easy it was to use Google Reader I would have been using it already!  I found that a lot of the RSS feeds that I would subscribe to would be on my "Favorites" under "Feed", which I didn't find useful enough.  It seems like Google Reader will be an easy way to keep track of feeds!  My only concern is using Google too much as there is always the worry that Google will use the information in some way.  I was looking at the other reader, Bloglines, I thought it seemed a little more complicated to use so I opted for Google.  Other than that, I have put in a number of the feeds that were recommended by the course plus some that I have had on my Favorites bar for a long time.  In addition, I played around a bit more with this blog to see how to use other features.  Some I didn't like such as adding a photo at the top of the page (way too big!) as well as adding a gadget like a calendar at the bottom, which didn't seem like it would even be seen so the blog stands as is for the time being.

2 comments:

  1. I use Google Reader, and manage to get an amazing amount of information by a combination of skimming and reading.

    Keep on playing with your blog design and settings until you're satisfied. You might want to add some pages, as well - many people have a curriculum vitae one, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Google Reader. Re: Google and privacy concerns, I operate under the assumption that Gogle will one day take over the world and own my brain anyhow, so I don't worry too much about it. Kidding, privacy is always a concern, but if Google wants to worry about how mama blogs, inquiry, home design and libraries affect my life, they are free to do so :)

    All kidding aside, you might want check out Kerrie Burch's Google Site: (https://sites.google.com/site/kerrielburch/). Diane's comment reminded me of it. She put it together while job hunting last year, and I remember thinking how glad I was that I wasn't competing with her for jobs!

    Kerrie did give me permission to post it here, but she tells me that not all the embedded stuff works anymore, and she's not updating regularly, but it's still worth a look. It's not a blog, exactly, but a good use of free tools!

    ReplyDelete